Saturday, September 29, 2007

HB Surf and Sand 5k

This was an evening race in Huntington Beach on the sand right on the shore. It was a small race in comparison to others I have run. I got there early and parking was easy, got my number and hung out till the start.

I knew right when I began running that this was not going to be fun. For some reason the sand, even though it was mostly packed, was really tough on my calves. They were hurting bad and did not seem to warm up like they usually do.

But I kept plugging along until the 2nd mile when my left foot went completely numb. Great! So I stopped and tried to retie my shoe to make it looser but that did not seem to help any. So I just kept going, trying to ignore it.

There was one lady that was with me the whole time, she was doing walk run intervals and everytime I caught up to her, she took off. Well me running the whole way began to get quite perturbed lol. So at the end of the race I kicked it and blasted past her so I could beat her in this race LOL. It is truly funny that no matter where your standing is in a race, there is always someone to compete with!

My time was a PR but not as well as I would have liked. I think if I was not in such pain and did not have a numb foot, I could have done better.

One of the women in our group placed 3rd in her age group (55-59) and she was thrilled so that was cute to see.

We got a tshirt and a shell necklace and some of us girls went out for well deserved Mexican food complete with Margaritas

Next up is either the Crime Prevention 5k in Los Alamitos or the Turkey Trot 10k in Dana Point or both

Thanks for reading!
Robin

1 comment:

Jes said...

Congratulations!!! Hmmm now mexican food sounds good... lol!